Friday, June 17, 2011

instead of pictures or cleverness here is a playlist

See that annoying playlist?  Yeah.  Totes took me about an hour to add.  Which hour breaks down into one minute of going "Holy crap I have discovered a way to share my offbeat yet charming music taste to all who care to partake!"; two and a half minutes of adding songs stuck in my head; thirty seconds of deciding I do not even care how the thing looks and I hate color anyway; and the rest of the time figuring out where the ADD HTML button was.

(Hint: it's under the Add HTML option.)

I ended up reading miles of instructions.  But since I kind of speedread  only read the first and last sentence of a paragraph which is awesome when you need to find out which Harry Potter character dies AS FAST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE but really lets a girl down when it comes to, like, reading directions.

Although a side benefit of speedreading is that you can read any book like five times and discover new things every time.

Also the film adaptations are never old news.

It is letting me down right now reading Borges though, although I will claim in my paper that my experience was even more surreal and paradigm-shifting and thus I should get extra credit.

I had a weeklong crisis this week (redundant!) about what to do after graduation.  So I asked everyone—or at least a whole lot of incredibly smart people I respect very much. 

Half told me not to go to grad school and like I was an idiot for considering it.  Half told me to try as hard as I can to go to grad school and I was an idiot for not considering it.  (Interestingly enough these fell exactly along gender lines—the men said I shouldn’t, the women said I should.  What does that mean?  I don't know.)

The main reason I wouldn’t?  I am feeling so very, very restless.  I am tired of living a boring and impeccably respectable life.  I hate school.  I hate like ninety percent of academics and academia.  I feel like I would just be signing up for two more years of repressive safety rather than actually having a real life not floundering for approval of people I don’t care about.

Why I would?  I have had like one fiction teacher in my entire life, and that was only in the past year, and we didn’t jive.  Even despite that I am getting pretty good feedback.  And I really like doing it.  I want to get as good at it as possible. 

Even if all I write lately are sexy, sexy ghost stories.

I guess I’ll just apply everywhere in the world and see who wants me.  I’m also guessing that’s what everyone does.

BORING.  Can I talk about how funny and wonderful Hannah and Finn Hillam are?  Or my grandma?  Or Indian food?  Or soda all the time?  Or etc.?

2 comments:

  1. Please let me read the sexy sexy ghost stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the captcha I just had to type out was CULT.

    ReplyDelete